The 2017 Spring volunteer application is now closed. Please check back in August for the date of the next application. For current applicants, we will contact regarding status approximately one-two weeks after the application has closed. If you are under 23 years of age, you must have a letter of recommendation to be considered and it must be submitted before close of the application. See below for form. Again, we thank you for remembering your local community.
It is our goal to embrace the Mission, Vision and Values of MUSC Children’s Health by providing and maintaining an adequate number of volunteers and services to supplement the work of paid staff. We aspire to deliver service and care that exceeds the expectations of our patients, their families and the communities we serve and ensure our volunteers meaningful work and the opportunity to learn and grow as individuals. Volunteers offer invaluable support, enthusiasm and encouragement to the patients, families and staff at MUSC Children’s Health. We are so excited you are interested in applying to join this wonderful group.
We provide training and ongoing support to all of our volunteers. All volunteers must be at least 16 years of age. Volunteers interested in a special care nursery or Emergency Department placement must be 21 years of age.
Please note that our program does not provide the opportunity to shadow physicians, nurses or other health care providers, nor do we allow volunteers to perform any sort of medical procedures.
We ask our volunteers to commit to a minimum of one two- to three-hour shift per week on the same day and time which fulfills a minimum commitment of 100 hours per year.
We ask student volunteers to commit to a minimum of one two- to three-hour shift per week in order to fulfill a minimum commitment of 100 hours. Volunteers under 18 are required to volunteer in the Atrium until they turn 18. Then, at the discretion of the Child Life or Volunteer Services Staff, volunteers are given the opportunity to experience volunteering in other departments.
Students and working adults under 23 years of age must submit a letter of recommendation from a professor, coach, or employer using the form which can be downloaded here. Please contact your reference prior to submitting your application and ask them to submit a letter as soon as possible; we must receive these via e-mail or mail no later than the close of the application. This can be emailed to us at email@example.com, faxed to 843-792-8860, or mailed to 165 Ashley Avenue MSC 332 Charleston, SC 29425.
The majority of our volunteer positions involve working directly with children and/or their families. Working closely with patients requires thorough screening, training and standards. We recognize this process may be cumbersome and ask for your patience and understanding in helping us support a safe and healthy environment for all of our patients, families, and volunteers.
Acceptance into the program is contingent upon the completion of the following steps:
- The Children's Hospital Volunteer application is now closed.
- College students and working adults under 23 years of age, MUST submit letter of reference before close of application. Form can be downloaded here.
- Once applications have been sorted, OSHA-HIPPA training and interview availability will be emailed with instructions to applicants chosen for placement.
- Upon completion of OSHA-HIPPA training, schedule interview. Interviews are scheduled upon receipt of your availability response along with your completion certificate. Interviews are scheduled Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m to 3:00 p.m. on a first-come, first-serve basis. The sooner you respond, the more position availability there is.
- Agree to criminal background check. Our office will submit the necessary paperwork.
- Attend scheduled health screening appointment. This appointment requires proof of vaccinations as well as administration of annual TB test and flu shot (seasonal), which are mandatory in order to volunteer. If vaccination records are not available, please alert us prior to interview. If you have received your TB test and/or flu shot from an outside source, the Volunteer Office and Employee Health Services will need a copy. This includes MUSC Student Health and MUSC Health clinics.
- Mandatory General Orientation will be held on Tuesday, April 18th from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Attend training to selected volunteer placement. Training dates to be determined. You must attend this to volunteer.
The number of applicants exceeds the number of available openings, thus filling out an application does not ensure placement. Choice of applicants is based on personal qualifications, previous experience, availability, and several other factors considered to be in the best interest of the children.