What Is It?
The Heart Health Program is both the pediatric weight management program of MUSC Children's Health and the preventive cardiology service of the Children's Heart Center. As a family-centered and lifestyle-oriented program, Heart Health is appropriate for any child or adolescent who has abnormal weight gain and/or associated cardiovascular risk factors, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or pre-diabetes.
What Do I Get?
- Regular clinic visits with a Registered Dietitian who has a certificate in training in pediatric and adult weight management
- Periodic physical examinations with the program’s attending Medical Director board certified in pediatrics and obesity medicine
- Structured program with nutrition, activity, and behavioral education
- Personalized coaching and health recommendations
- Weekly group sessions
- Weekday and Saturday fitness sessions
- Monthly newsletters
How Do I Enroll?
Our Care Team
Christine SanGiovanni, M.D., MSCR | Medical Director
Dr. Christine SanGiovanni is excited to be a provider for the Heart Health program. She is an assistant professor in the Pediatrics Department of the Medical University of South Carolina. She completed her medical education at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and completed her pediatric residency and chief residency year at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York. She then completed a General Academic Fellowship and obtained her Master of Science in Clinical Research at the Medical University of South Carolina. Her research interests are in assisting primary care providers with screening and managing childhood obesity and its co-morbidities. She is involved in research analyzing and implementing the use of smartphone apps to help adolescents better manage their weight and develop a healthy lifestyle.
Janet Carter, MS, RD, LD | Program Manager
Janet has been with Heart Health since 2006 and is very passionate about the program and very dedicated to the families she helps every day. She holds a certificate in Adult and Pediatric Weight Management and conducts individual nutrition counseling sessions with the families on a bi-weekly basis in addition to weekly group sessions.
News & Announcements
Are you looking for an additional weight loss resource?
Eligible adolescents and adults may benefit from the MUSC Bariatric Surgery program, which includes experienced mental health professionals, dietitians, nurses and physicians, and is dedicated to helping patients safely realize weight loss success.
Monday through Friday 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. (Park Circle in North Charleston)
Saturday 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. (Park Circle in North Charleston)
Address: 4800 Park Circle, North Charleston, SC 29405
Park and meet at Felix Davis Community Center; sessions will be in the grassy area to the right of the building (look for volunteers in bright yellow shirts)
*Assume cancellation in inclement weather—you WILL NOT be notified
Email email@example.com to schedule fitness sessions at least a week in advance.
Heart Health participants are encouraged to attend clinic visits every two weeks. These can be scheduled at any of our 4 locations:
- Monday: 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Mount Pleasant Clinic and 12 to 4:00 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic.
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic and 12 to 4:00 p.m. at the North Charleston Clinic.
- Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. via Telemedicine (Beaufort Clinic) and 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the North Charleston Clinic.
- Thursday: 8 p.m. to 4 p.m. via Telemedicine (Beaufort Clinic) and 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic.
- Friday: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the North Charleston Clinic and 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. via Telemedicine (various locations).
This Month's Group Session Schedule
September 5: Relax & Recharge--Stress Management Strategies
We all can feel stressed at times. Learn healthy ways to handle life's stresses.
September 12: Portion Control & Label Reading
Come learn more about these cornerstones of eating right and losing weight.
September 19: Motivation, Pass it On!
Staying on track can be easier when you have motivation to keep you pluggin' along! Come discuss ways to increase motivation.
September 26: Handling Outside Influences
We are constantly interacting with people who can influence us. How will they influence YOU? Learn how to stick to your goals even when others might make it difficult.
All Group Sessions are from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Miller Motte Technical College:
Miller Motte Technical College
8085 Rivers Avenue
North Charleston, 29406