What Is It?
The Heart Health Program is both the pediatric weight management program of MUSC Children's Health and the preventive cardiology service of the Children's Heart Center. As a family-centered and lifestyle-oriented program, Heart Health is appropriate for any child or adolescent who has abnormal weight gain and/or associated cardiovascular risk factors, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or pre-diabetes.
What Do I Get?
- Regular clinic visits with a Registered Dietitian who has a certificate in training in pediatric and adult weight management
- Periodic physical examinations with the program’s attending Medical Director board certified in pediatrics and obesity medicine
- Structured program with nutrition, activity, and behavioral education
- Personalized coaching and health recommendations
- Weekly group sessions
- Weekday and Saturday fitness sessions
- Monthly newsletters
How Do I Enroll?
Our Care Team
Christine SanGiovanni, M.D., MSCR | Medical Director
Dr. Christine SanGiovanni is excited to be a provider for the Heart Health program. She is an assistant professor in the Pediatrics Department of the Medical University of South Carolina. She completed her medical education at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and completed her pediatric residency and chief residency year at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York. She then completed a General Academic Fellowship and obtained her Master of Science in Clinical Research at the Medical University of South Carolina. Her research interests are in assisting primary care providers with screening and managing childhood obesity and its co-morbidities. She is involved in research analyzing and implementing the use of smartphone apps to help adolescents better manage their weight and develop a healthy lifestyle.
Janet Carter, MS, RD, LD | Program Manager
Janet has been with Heart Health since 2006 and is very passionate about the program and very dedicated to the families she helps every day. She holds a certificate in Adult and Pediatric Weight Management and conducts individual nutrition counseling sessions with the families on a bi-weekly basis in addition to weekly group sessions.
News & Announcements
Heart Health 12-week 5K training program
MUSC Heart Health has created a training plan for you and your family as preparation for the annual Hearth Health 5K held on May 10th, 2020.
Download the training plan (PDF)
Are you looking for an additional weight loss resource?
Eligible adolescents and adults may benefit from the MUSC Bariatric Surgery program, which includes experienced mental health professionals, dietitians, nurses and physicians, and is dedicated to helping patients safely realize weight loss success.
Monday through Friday 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. (Park Circle in North Charleston)
Saturday 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. (Park Circle in North Charleston)
Address: 4800 Park Circle, North Charleston, SC 29405
Park and meet at Felix Davis Community Center; sessions will be in the grassy area to the right of the building (look for volunteers in bright yellow shirts)
*Assume cancellation in inclement weather—you WILL NOT be notified
Email email@example.com schedule fitness sessions at least a week in advance.
Heart Health participants are encouraged to attend clinic visits every two to four weeks. These can be scheduled at any of our 4 locations:
- Monday: 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Mount Pleasant Clinic and 12 to 4:00 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic.
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic and 12 to 4:00 p.m. at the Summey Medical Pavilion.
- Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. via Telemedicine (various locations) and 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Summey Medical Pavilion.
- Thursday: 8 p.m. to 4 p.m. via Telemedicine (various locations) and 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic.
- Friday: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Summey Medical Pavilion and 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. via Telemedicine (various locations).
This Month's Group Session Schedule
February 6th: Goals and Rewards
Staying on track can be easier when you have goals to guide you, rewards to excite you, and motivation to keep you pluggin’ along!
February 13th: Valentine's Day Party!
February 20th: Managing Stress and Emotions
We often turn to food when we are stressed or emotional. Come learn better ways to handle these situations.
February 27th: Create Your Plate
Learn how to create balanced meals, visualize proper portions and to determine if foods are healthy or not.