The MUSC Children’s Health Heart Center provides comprehensive evaluation and management of arrhythmias in the fetus, infant, child, adolescent and adult with congenital heart disease in the inpatient and outpatient setting.
Rhythm Assessment Through our Heart Rhythm Program Includes:
- Standard electrocardiograms
- 24 hour ambulatory Holter monitors
- Transtelephonic event monitoring
More invasive services include tilt table testing, transesophageal pacing studies, intracardiac electrophysiology studies and ablation, implantable loop recorder placement and pacemaker and defibrillator implantation.
With more than 1500 ablations performed at MUSC, we have great outcomes with an overall success rate of 98 percent.
Services We Provide
- Radiofrequency ablation, where radio waves are delivered through the tip of a catheter to heat a small area of the heart muscle responsible for maintaining an arrhythmia.
- Cryoablation, where the catheter tip freezes the abnormal heart tissue, similar to heating with radio waves. One key advantage of this technique is reversibility when first applied, making it safer for some arrhythmias than the radiofrequency technique. The MUSC Children’s Health Heart Center pioneered this technique in 2003, just a few days after it was approved for use in the United States.
- 3-D computerized mapping and ablation using St. Jude-Endocardial Solutions mapping systems, providing state-of-the-art tools for treating the most complex rhythm abnormalities in the most complex patients.
- Active follow up with patients who have with implanted devices, including in-clinic and remote appointments.